MAKOplasty Hip Replacement Patient Guide
Who is a good candidate for the MAKOplasty® total hip procedure?
If you have one or more of the following symptoms, talk to your doctor about possible treatments:
• Pain while putting weight on the affected joints
• Limping to lessen the weight-bearing pressure on the hip
• Hip pain or stiffness during walking or other impact activities
• Failure to respond to non-surgical treatments or pain medication.
How does MAKOplasty® work?
If your surgeon determines that you are a good candidate for the MAKOplasty® procedure, prior to your surgery date you will have a hip CT scan performed. This is used to create a 3-D model of your hip, pelvis and femur. The surgeon uses the RIO® software with information from the model to plan your surgery based on your unique anatomy. During surgery, the software provides real-time information to optimize implant positioning and alignment, and the robotic arm is used to prepare your socket and guide accurate placement of the implants. This can be difficult to achieve using traditional surgical techniques without the robotic arm system.
In total hip replacement procedures, the accurate placement and alignment of implant components are critical factors. MAKOplasty® total hip, powered by the surgeon-controlled RIO® Robotic Arm Interactive Orthopedic System, provides a new level of accuracy and precision in total hip replacement.
MAKOplasty® benefits may include:
- Accurate placement of your hip implant using the surgeon-controlled robotic arm system, which can reduce the likelihood of hip dislocation.
- More consistency in leg length, potentially decreasing the need for a shoe lift.
- Decreased risk of the implant/implant and bone/implant impingement (abnormally rubbing together), which may improve the lifetime of the hip replacement.
Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
- What are the factors causing my hip pain?
- Will reducing activity, taking pain or prescription medication, getting injections or adding physical therapy help ease my pain?
- Would a total hip replacement procedure provide relief from my hip pain?
- Am I a candidate for the MAKOplasty® total hip replacement procedure?
- What are the benefits and risks involved with traditional total hip replacement or the MAKOplasty procedure?
- How long will it take to recover from a total hip replacement? From a MAKOplasty total hip replacement procedure?
- How long can I expect the implant to last?
For more information, download the Medical City Dallas Hip Replacement Pre-operative Guide.