Fetal Surgery at Medical City Children's Hospital
The Fetal Surgery program at Medical City Children's Hospital in Dallas is one of only a handful of centers in the world that has the capability to perform the full range of fetal interventions, from ultrasound-guided procedures to fetoscopic surgery to open fetal surgery and EXIT procedures.
The Fetal Care Center at Medical City Children’s Hospital provides critical care to the most vulnerable patients: unborn babies with complex birth defects. The health and safety of mothers carrying a baby with a congenital anomaly is our top priority, which is why we created the Medical City Children's Hospital Maternal Fetal Institute to help Mom navigate this trying time and answer any specific hospital related questions. With Medical City Dallas' campus as the home for both Medical City Children's Hospital and our Women’s Hospital, we are the only North Texas hospital with both a full-service children's hospital and an obstetric hospital within the same facility, keeping mother and her newborn together.
In addition, Medical City Children's Hospital is a Level IV Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), providing the highest level of care to the most medically fragile infants.
Open Fetal Surgery for Life-Threatening or Devastating Fetal Conditions, including:
- Open fetal surgery for myelomeningocele, the most severe form of spina bifida
- Open fetal surgery for sacrococcygeal teratoma (SCT) resection, the removal of a tumor from the base of the tailbone (coccyx)
- Open fetal surgery to remove a congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation (CCAM), a benign mass of abnormal lung tissue
Fetoscopic Surgery, including:
- Fetoscopic endoluminal tracheal occlusion (FETO) for severe congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH)
- Fetoscopic laser photocoagulation for treatment of severe twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS)
- Fetoscopic bipolar cord coagulation (BCC)
- Fetoscopic radiofrequency ablation (RFA)
- Fetoscopic devascularization of chorioangioma
- Fetoscopic release of amniotic band syndrome (ABS)
Ultrasound-Guided Fetal Interventions, including:
- Ultrasound-guided bladder and chest shunt placement
- Ultrasound-guided intrafetal radiofrequency ablation
- Ultrasound-guided interstitial laser treatment of:
- Bronchopulmonary sequestration (BPS)
- Hybrid congenital pulmonary airway malformation (CPAMS)
- Sacrococcygeal teratoma (SCT)
Other fetal interventions, including:
- Ex utero intrapartum treatment (EXIT procedures) for the delivery of babies with airway compromise due to a variety of causes
- Fetal cardiac intervention to treat congenital heart defects
- Intrauterine blood transfusions
To reach the Fetal Care Center at Medical City Children's Hospital, patients or referring physicians may call (972) 566-5600 anytime 24/7.