Maternal Transport at Medical City Dallas
The Maternal Transport Team at Medical City Dallas is dedicated to providing prompt and efficient transport for high-risk fetal and obstetrical patients. With the goal of improving neonatal outcomes, our focus is on intrauterine transport.
Our team is available 24/7 to perform inter-facility transports within Texas and throughout the Southwest region of the United States. Our group of highly-skilled and specially-trained maternal transport registered nurses can be deployed by ground ambulance, helicopter or fixed wing aircraft featuring a self-contained mobile intensive care environment. Additionally, Medical City offers exceptional care with the following points in mind:
- Medical City Dallas is the only hospital in North Texas where a mother and baby with complex conditions can be cared for in the same hospital post-delivery.
- Our team begins communication with a high-risk obstetrician to provide an individualized plan of care from the moment of dispatch until the patient is safely transported from the referring facility to Medical City Dallas.
- Once the patient arrives at Medical City Dallas, a multidisciplinary team of obstetricians, anesthesiologists and neonatologists are on hand to care for the high risk mother and neonate. Perinatologists (MFM) and a full range of pediatric subspecialists are available for every type of maternal, fetal and neonatal complex condition.
- Our Maternal Fetal Institute is available for complete care coordination of pregnancies with congenital anomalies.
Following the transport, a member of the Maternal Transport Team will communicate with the referring physician regarding patient progress and outcome.
The Maternal Transport Team has transported patients to Medical City Dallas and surrounding Medical City Healthcare facilities by ambulance, helicopter or fixed wing aircraft since its inception in 2011. Having immediate access to these modes of transfer allows our Maternal Transport Team to provide the highest level of care and service, depending on the patient’s needs, acuity and distance. More than 300 mothers each year have received care from our highly trained nurses. Our team is the only maternal transportation unit in the region exclusively staffed by registered nurses with extensive training in caring for the critically ill or injured expecting mother. Our team provides compassionate, family-centered, and professional care to meet the needs of patients and families during these difficult times.
- Medical City Children’s Hospital Maternal Fetal Institute
- Fetal Monitoring
- High-Risk Obstetrics
- Hypertensive Crisis Management
- Magnesium Sulfate Management
- Preterm Labor Management
- Vaginal Bleeding Management
How is a transport initiated?
Simply call 1-855-XFER-MOM (933-7666), and our transfer center will arrange logistics. This unique service simplifies the process of transferring a patient and ensures that the patient is transferred to a facility with the appropriate subspecialties and equipment to handle the patient’s level of acuity.
What information do I need to provide to the transfer center when setting up a transport?
- Patient name, DOB, weight
- Diagnosis/Chief complaint
- Requested accepting facility
- Focused history and assessment findings
Does the Maternal Transport Team only transport to Medical City Dallas?
No. The Maternal Transport Team serves any Medical City Healthcare facility in North Texas with applicable advanced maternal care services. These facilities include:
- Medical City Alliance
- Medical City Arlington
- Medical City Children’s Hospital
- Medical City Dallas
- Medical City Frisco
- Medical City Las Colinas
- Medical City Lewisville
- Medical City McKinney
- Medical City Plano
The Maternal Transport Team at Medical City Dallas has the ability to provide continuing education to healthcare professionals in S.T.A.B.L.E., AWHONN Intermediate Fetal Monitoring, and also offers a wide range of outreach lectures to outlying hospitals. Lecture topics are customized to specifically meet your facility’s needs.