(Parrot Fever; Ornithosis)
|Bacteria as Seen Through Microscope|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Zoo worker
- Laboratory worker
- Poultry plant worker
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Chest pain
- Blood tests
- Chest x-ray
- Keep your mouth away from a bird’s beak.
- Buy pet birds from a dealer with an exotic bird permit.
- If you have two or more birds, keep their cages apart.
- Keep new birds away from other birds for 4-6 weeks.
- Clean bird cages, food bowls, and water bowls every day. Disinfect them every week with bleach or rubbing alcohol.
- Avoid birds that appear to be sick.
- If your bird appears to be sick, take it to a veterinarian right away.
- If you care for an infected bird, wear a mask and protective clothing, including gloves, eye wear, and a disposable surgical cap. You should also wear a properly fitted respirator with an N95 or higher rating.
American Veterinary Medicine Association http://www.avma.org
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Compendium of measures to control Chlamydia psittaci infection among humans (psittacosis) and pet birds (avian chlamydiosis), 2000. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2000;49(RR-8):3-17.
Eidson M. Psittacosis/avian chlamydiosis. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002;221(12):1710-1712.
Orinthosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated November 30, 2009. Accessed September 20, 2013.
Psittacosis. Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety website. Available at: http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/diseases/psittacosis.html . Updated February 2, 2009. Accessed September 20, 2013.
Psittacosis. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/psittacosis%5Ft.htm . Updated January 13, 2009. Accessed September 20, 2013.
Stewardson AJ, Grayson ML. Psittacosis. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2010;24(1):7-25.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.