(Specific Reading Disability)
|Language Center of the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Learning to speak
- Reading and writing at grade level
- Organizing written and spoken language
- Learning letters and their sounds
- Learning number facts
- Learning a foreign language
- Correctly doing math problems
- Cognitive processing tests—measure of thinking ability
- IQ test—measure of intellectual functioning
- Tests to measure speaking, reading, spelling, and writing skills
- Teach small amounts of information at a time
- Teach the same concepts many times—a concept known as over-teaching
- Use all the senses—hearing, vision, voice, and touch—to enhance learning (multisensory reinforcement)
- Audio taping classroom lessons, homework assignments, and texts
- Using flashcards
- Sitting in the front of the classroom
- Using a computer with spelling and grammar checks
- Receiving more time to complete homework or tests
International Dyslexia Association http://www.interdys.org
National Center for Learning Disabilities http://www.ld.org
Canadian Dyslexia Association http://www.dyslexiaassociation.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/health%5Fproblems/learning%5Fproblem/dyslexia.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed February 13, 2014.
Dyslexia. National Center for Learning Disabilities website. Available at: http://www.ncld.org/types-learning-disabilities/dyslexia. Accessed February 13, 2014.
Dyslexia basics. International Dyslexia Association website. Available at: http://www.interdys.org/ewebeditpro5/upload/DyslexiaBasicsREVMay2012.pdf. Published 2012. Accessed February 13, 2014.
Frequently asked questions about dyslexia. International Dyslexia Association website. Available at: http://www.interdys.org/FAQ.htm. Accessed February 13, 2014.
Kids with dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/learning/dyslexia.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed February 13, 2014.
Understanding dyslexia. KidsHealth.org website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/teen/school%5Fjobs/school/dyslexia.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed February 13, 2014.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/13/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.