|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Lactose intolerance
- Celiac disease
- Intestinal parasites
- HIV/AIDS, cancer, or treatment for those diseases
- Whipple disease or other bacterial infections
- Crohns disease
- Cystic fibrosis
Inadequate digestion due to:
- Bacterial overgrowth syndrome
- Gastric resection—removal of all or part of the stomach
- Inadequate function of the pancreas
- Excessive production of gastric acid
- Short bowel syndrome or previous bowel removal
- Liver disease
- Medical conditions affecting the intestine such as celiac disease, cystic fibrosis, or Crohns disease
- Use of laxatives
- Excessive use of antibiotics
- Intestinal surgery
- Excessive use of alcohol
- Travel to countries with high incidence of intestinal parasites
- Weight loss
- Abdominal distention and bloating
- Bulky, foul-smelling stools
- Weakness and fatigue
- Swelling or fluid retention
- Muscle weakness
- Blood tests
- Stool tests
- Urine tests
- Hydrogen breath test
- Small bowel biopsy
American College of Gastroenterology http://www.gi.org
National Organization for Rare Disorders http://www.rarediseases.org
HealthLink BC http://www.healthlinkbc.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Abdullah M, Firmansyah MA. Clinical approach and management of chronic diarrhea. Acta Med Indones. 2013;45(2):157-165.
Bacterial overgrowth syndrome. Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal%5Fdisorders/malabsorption%5Fsyndromes/bacterial%5Fovergrowth%5Fsyndrome.html. Updated May 2014. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Chronic diarrhea. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 16, 2014. Accessed June 19, 2014.
Diarrheal diseases-acute and chronic. American College of Gastroenterology website. Available at: http://patients.gi.org/topics/diarrhea-acute-and-chronic/. Updated December 2012. Accessed July 19, 2014.
Overview of malabsorption. Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal%5Fdisorders/malabsorption%5Fsyndromes/overview%5Fof%5Fmalabsorption.html. Updated May 2014. Accessed July 19, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 06/19/2014 -
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.