(Polycythemia Vera [PCV]; Polycythemia Rubra Vera [PRV]; Erythremia)
|Location of Active Bone Marrow in an Adult|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sex: male—twice as likely to be affected as women
- Age: over the age of 40 years old; rarely are individuals under the age of 40 diagnosed with primary polycythemia
- Race: Caucasians, Ashkenazi Jews
- Abnormal and heavy bleeding due to a cut or a nosebleed
- Intense and frequent bone pain and/or muscle pain
- Headaches, lightheadedness, or gastrointestinal symptoms
- Vision problems
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty or labored breathing
- The color of the skin appears reddish
- Inability to concentrate
- Intense itching after a warm or hot bath, shower, or any activity that requires soaking your skin in warm or hot water
- Blood tests
- Bone marrow biopsy
American Society of Hematology http://www.hematology.org
The National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
HealthLink BC http://www.healthlinkbc.ca
Capital Health Nova Scotia http://www.cdha.nshealth.ca
Berk PD, Goldberg JD, et al. Therapeutic recommendations in polycythemia vera based on Polycythemia Vera Study Group protocols. Semin Hematol. 1986;23:132-143.
Gilbert HS. Current management in polycythemia vera. Semin Hematol. 2001;38(1 Suppl 2):25-28.
Golden C. Polycythemia vera: a review. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2003;7:553-556.
Kessler CM. Propensity for hemorrhage and thrombosis in chronic myeloproliferative disorders. Semin Hematol. 2004;41(2 Suppl 3):10-14.
Munson BL. Myths & facts…about polycythemia vera. Nursing. 2005;35:28.
Passamonti F, Rumi E, et al. Life expectancy and prognostic factors for survival in patients with polycythemia vera and essential thrombocythemia. Am J Med. 2004;117:755-761.
Polycythemia vera. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated June 11, 2013. Accessed August 23, 2013.
Ruggeri M, Tosetto A, et al. The rate of progression to polycythemia vera or essential thrombocythemia in patients with erythrocytosis or thrombocytosis. Ann Intern Med. 2003;139:470-475.
Solberg LA Jr. Therapeutic options for essential thrombocythemia and polycythemia vera. Semin Oncol. 2002;29(3 Suppl 10):10-15.
Spivak JL. The optimal management of polycythaemia vera. Br J Haematol. 2002;116:243-254.
Stuart BJ, Viera AJ. Polycythemia vera. Am Fam Physician. 2004;69:2139-2144.
Tefferi A. A contemporary approach to the diagnosis and management of polycythemia vera. Curr Hematol Rep. 2003;2:237-241.
Tefferi A. Polycythemia vera: a comprehensive review and clinical recommendations. Mayo Clin Proc. 2003;78:174-194.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.