- Benign—noncancerous tumor that does not invade nearby tissue
- Malignant—cancer that invades nearby tissue and can spread to other parts of the body
- Lung cancer
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Colon cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Compromised immune system
- History of cancer
- Decreased ability to sense cold, heat, or pain in legs arms or chest
- Loss of muscle strength in legs, arms, or chest
- Difficulty using arms and legs for basic tasks like walking
- Loss of bladder and bowel function
- Cure for cancer if the cancer started in spine
- Part of cancer treatment that includes chemotherapy or radiation
- Treatment to try to relieve pain or disability
- Treatment for tumors that do not respond to chemotherapy or radiation
American Association of Neurological Surgeons http://www.aans.org
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Cancer Care Ontario http://www.cancercare.on.ca
Spinal tumors. American Association of Neurological Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Spinal%20Tumors.aspx. Updated July 2014. Accessed June 18, 2015.
Spinal cord tumor. University of California San Francisco Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/conditions/spinal%5Fcord%5Ftumor/. Accessed June 18, 2015.
Spinal tumors. University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center website. Available at: http://www.mdanderson.org/patient-and-cancer-information/cancer-information/cancer-types/spinal-tumors/index.html. Accessed June 18, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 06/16/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.