|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Premature birth
- Birth weight under 3.5 pounds (1,500 grams)
- Very rarely a loop of intestine becomes trapped in the abdominal wall. This may lead to a blockage of the intestine.
- Strangulation can also occur if the hernia is slowing or blocking blood flow. A strangulated hernia is a medical emergency.
American College of Surgeons http://www.facs.org
American Society of General Surgeons http://www.theasgs.org
The Canadian Association of General Surgeons http://www.cags-accg.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Hernias of the abdominal wall. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal-disorders/acute-abdomen-and-surgical-gastroenterology/hernias-of-the-abdominal-wall. Updated June 2014. Accessed June 18, 2015.
Umbilical hernia in infants. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 10, 2014. Accessed June 18, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 06/24/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.