Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors Present in Teens with Highest Incidence in Overweight Teens
About the Study
- 14% had prehypertension or hypertension (high blood pressure)
- 22% had borderline or high bad cholesterol (low-density lipoprotein [LDL])
- 6% had low good cholesterol (high-density lipoprotein [HDL])
- 15% had prediabetes or diabetes
- 37% of children in normal weight range
- 50% of children who were overweight
- 60% of children who were obese
How Does This Affect You?
American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org/
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/
May AL, Kuklina EV, Yoon PW. Prevalence of cardiovascular disease risk factors among US adolescents, 1999-2008. Pediatrics. 2012 Jun;129(6):1035-41.
- Reviewer: Brian P. Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.