- Gender: males
- Age: 20-40 years old
- Geographic location: Eastern Europe, the Mediterranean, and Asian countries (Buerger's disease is not very common in the US.)
- Pain, numbness, burning sensation, and tingling
- Cold hands and feet
- Skin discoloration (eg, white, red, or bluish hands or feet)—These skin color changes may be triggered by certain factors, like being exposed to cold temperatures. This is called Raynaud’s phenomenom .
|Tissue Death in the Foot|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fatty plaque build-up in arteries
- Other diseases that cause inflammation in blood vessels
- Raynaud’s phenomenon without any underlying condition
- Blood clotting disorders
- Ask about your medical history, especially focusing on your tobacco use
- Ask about your symptoms
- Do a physical exam (including tests to check your circulation)
- Order blood tests
Having wounds properly cleaned and cared for
- You will need to take special care of your skin. If your feet are numb, for example, you may not realize that you have a cut. Your doctor may ask you to carefully inspect your skin daily.
- Taking medicines (eg, to relieve pain, to widen blood vessels)
- Exercising to improve circulation
- Undergoing surgery to increase circulation and decrease pain
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/
Vasculitis Foundation http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/
The Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Buerger’s disease. The Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center website. Available at: http://www.hopkinsvasculitis.org/types-vasculitis/buergers-disease/. Accessed June 7, 2012.
Buerger’s disease. Vasculitis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/buergersdisease. Accessed June 7, 2012.
Buerger’s disease (thromboangitis obliterans). UC Davis Health System website. Available at: http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vascular/diseases/buergers%5Fdisease.html. Accessed June 7, 2012.
Sekhar S, Thomas D, Meera NK, Koneri RB, Balakrishna P. Progress and incidence of Buerger's disease in Bangalore. Internet J Epidemiol. 2008;6(1).
Smoking: impact on Buerger's disease. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/campaign/tips/resources/overviews/buergers-disease.html. Updated March 16, 2012. Accessed June 7, 2012.
Thromboangiitis obliterans. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated January 21, 2011. Accessed June 7, 2012.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 06/20/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.