Support for Smokers Wanting to Quit
- What are the triggers that make you want to smoke or smoke again after you have quit? Perhaps you feel the urge to smoke when you are around others smoking. Or maybe certain emotions, like stress, prompt you to smoke.
- How can you control the urge to smoke? You and your coach will develop and practice coping skills you can use when you feel the need to reach for a cigarette.
- When do you want to quit? Setting an official quit date will not only give you something to aim for, but it may also increase your chances of quitting.
Telephone and Text Counseling
Ex: Re-learn Life Without Cigarettes, National Alliance for Tobacco Cessation
Freedom From Smoking, American Lung Association
Smoke Free, National Cancer Institute
Spirituality and Smoking Cessation
American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/
American Lung Association http://www.lungusa.org/
National Cancer Institute http://www.cancer.gov/
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
The Lung Association http://www.lung.ca/
A guide to quit smoking methods. Smokefree.gov website. Available at: http://whatworkstoquit.tobacco-cessation.org/NTCCguide.pdf. Accessed June 8, 2011.
How to quit smoking. American Lung Association website. Available at: http://www.lungusa.org/stop-smoking/how-to-quit/. Accessed June 8, 2011.
McFadden D, Croghan IT, Piderman KM, et al. Spirituality in tobacco dependence: a Mayo Clinic survey. Explore (NY). 2011 May-Jun;7(3):162-167.
Task Force on Community Preventive Services. Recommendations for worksite-based interventions to improve workers' health. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Feb;38(2 Suppl):S232-S236.
- Reviewer: Lawrence Frisch, MD, MPH
- Review Date: 06/2011 -
- Update Date: 06/27/2011 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.