Support for Smokers Wanting to Quit
- What are the triggers that make you want to smoke or smoke again after you have quit? Perhaps you feel the urge to smoke when you are around others smoking. Or maybe certain emotions, like stress, prompt you to smoke.
- How can you control the urge to smoke? You and your coach will develop and practice coping skills you can use when you feel the need to reach for a cigarette.
- When do you want to quit? Setting an official quit date will not only give you something to aim for, but it may also increase your chances of quitting.
Telephone and Text Counseling
Ex: Re-learn Life Without Cigarettes, National Alliance for Tobacco Cessation
Freedom From Smoking, American Lung Association
Smoke Free, National Cancer Institute
There's an App for That
Spirituality and Smoking Cessation
American Lung Association http://www.lung.org
Smoke Free http://www.smokefree.gov
Canadian Cancer Society http://www.cancer.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
A guide to quit smoking methods. Tobacco Cessation website. Available at: http://tobacco-cessation.org/whatworkstoquit/NTCCguide.pdf. Accessed May 20, 2015.
Clearing the air. Quit smoking today. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://smokefree.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/clearing-the-air-accessible.pdf. Accessed May 20, 2015.
Counseling for tobacco cessation. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 6, 2015. Accessed May 20, 2015.
Help your patients quit smoking: a coaching guide. New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene website. Available at: http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/smoke/smoke-quit-smoking-coaching-guide.pdf. Accessed May 20, 2015.
McFadden D, Croghan IT, Piderman KM, et al. Spirituality in tobacco dependence: A Mayo Clinic survey. Explore (NY). 2011;7(3):162-167.
NCI launches smoking cessatoin support for teens. National Institutes of Health website. Available at: http://www.nih.gov/news/health/dec2011/nci-05.htm. Updated December 19, 2013. Accessed May 20, 2015.
Smokefree TXT. Smoke Free website. Available at: http://smokefree.gov/smokefreetxt. Accessed May 20, 2015.
Task Force on Community Preventive Services. Recommendations for worksite-based interventions to improve workers' health. Am J Prev Med. 2010;38(2 Suppl):S232-S236.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 05/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/20/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.