Trigger Point Injection
(Injection, Trigger Point)
|If you have a trigger point in the thigh muscle, the doctor can give an injection to relieve pain.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for the Procedure
- Tenderness, bruising, or bleeding at the injection site
- Allergic reaction to the local anesthetic or medicine
- The need for other treatments if this injection is not effective
- Damage to organs, such as the lung (rare)
- Have allergies to the local anesthetic or medications being used
- Have a current infection
- Have a bleeding disorder
- Are pregnant
What to Expect
Prior to the Procedure
- A physical exam
- Imaging tests to evaluate the spinal structures with x-rays or an MRI scan
- To discuss allergies that you may have to the anesthetic, pain medication, or latex
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Post Procedure Care
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, bleeding, or discharge from the injection site
- Numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness
- Any new or unexplained symptoms
American Chronic Pain Association http://www.theacpa.org
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
The Arthritis Society http://www.arthritis.ca
Alvarez D, Rockwell P. Trigger points: diagnosis and management. Am Fam Physician. 2002;65(4):653-661.
Trigger point injections. Integrative Pain Center of Arizona website. Available at: http://www.ipcaz.org/?s=trigger+point+injections. Accessed March 3, 2011.
Trigger point injections. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center website. Available at: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/patient-education/resources/trigger-point-injections. Accessed March 3, 2011.
Trigger point injections. University of Wisconsin Hospital website. Available at: http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B%5FEXTRANET%5FHEALTH%5FINFORMATION-FlexMember-Show%5FPublic%5FHFFY%5F1126652225741.html. Updated June 21, 2010. Accessed March 3, 2011.
Trigger point injection therapy. Fibromyalgia Symptoms website. Available at: http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/fibromyalgia%5Finjections.html. Accessed March 3, 2011.
6/6/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ : Mills E, Eyawo O, et al. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, DPT, OCS
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.