Chorionic Villus Sampling -- Transabdominal
(CVS—Transabdominal; Chorionic Villi Sampling—Transabdominal)
|Nine Week Old Fetus in Utero|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Test
- Other tests, such as a first trimester ultrasound or blood tests reveal abnormal results
- A prior pregnancy had a chromosomal abnormality
- The mother is 35 years old or older
- You or your partner is a carrier for a genetic disorder
- There is a family history of a genetic disorder
- Bleeding from the vagina
- Sensitivity to your baby’s blood, which may enter your bloodstream, also called Rh incompatibility
- Infection in the uterus
- Have an active infection, like a sexually transmitted disease
- Are carrying twins
- Have experienced bleeding from the vagina during pregnancy
What to Expect
Prior to Test
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Heavy bleeding from your vagina
- Leaking of amniotic fluid
- Uterine contractions
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
American Pregnancy Association http://www.americanpregnancy.org
Canadian Women's Health Network http://www.cwhn.ca
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
Chorionic villus sampling (CVS). American Pregnancy Association website. Available at: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/prenataltesting/cvs.html. Updated April 2006. Accessed March 14, 2014.
Routine prenatal care. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 3, 2014. Accessed March 14, 2014.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 01/2015 -
- Update Date: 04/30/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.