What Is the Scientific Evidence for Tropical Oils?
1. McNamara DJ. Palm oil and health: a case of manipulated perception and misuse of science. J Am Coll Nutr . 2010 Jun;29(3 Suppl):240S-244S.
2. Edem DO. Palm oil: biochemical, physiological, nutritional, hematological, and toxicological aspects: a review. Plant Foods Hum Nutr . 2002 Fall;57(3-4):319-341.
3. Ebong PE, Owu DU, Isong EU. Influence of palm oil (Elaesis guineensis) on health. Plant Foods Hum Nutr . 1999;53(3):209-222.
4. Oguntibeju OO, Esterhuyse AJ, Truter EJ. Red palm oil: nutritional, physiological and therapeutic roles in improving human wellbeing and quality of life. Br J Biomed Sci . 2009;66(4):216-222.
5. Elson CE. Tropical oils: nutritional and scientific issues. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr . 1992;31(1-2):79-102.
6. Park S, Snook JT, Bricker L, et al. Relative effects of high saturated fatty acid levels in meat, dairy products, and tropical oils on serum lipoprotein and low-density lipoprotein degradation by mononuclear cells in healthy males. Metabolism . 1996 May;45(5):550-8.
7. Kabagambe EK, Baylin A, Ascherio A, Campos H. The type of oil used for cooking is associated with the risk of nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. J Nutr . 2005 Nov;135(11):2674-2679.
8. Zagré NM, Delpeuch F, Traissac P, Delisle H. Red palm oil as a source of vitamin A for mothers and children: impact of a pilot project in Burkina Faso. Public Health Nutr . 2003 Dec;6(8):733-42.
9. Solomons NW, Orozco M. Alleviation of vitamin A deficiency with palm fruit and its products. Asia Pac J Clin Nut r. 2003;12(3):373-384.
10. van Stuijvenberg ME, Dhansay MA, Lombard CJ, Faber M, Benadé AJ. The effect of a biscuit with red palm oil as a source of beta-carotene on the vitamin A status of primary school children: a comparison with beta-carotene from a synthetic source in a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Clin Nutr . 2001 Aug;55(8):657-662.
11. Canfield LM, Kaminsky RG, Taren DL, Shaw E, Sander JK. Red palm oil in the maternal diet increases provitamin A carotenoids in breastmilk and serum of the mother-infant dyad. Eur J Nutr . 2001 Feb;40(1):30-38.
12. Chong YH, Ng TK. Effects of palm oil on cardiovascular risk. Med J Malaysia . 1991 Mar;46(1):41-50.
13. Amarasiri WA, Dissanayake AS. Coconut fats. Ceylon Med J . 2006 Jun;51(2):47-51.
14. Sankaranarayanan K, Mondkar JA, Chauhan MM, Mascarenhas BM, Mainkar AR, Salvi RY. Oil massage in neonates: an open randomized controlled study of coconut versus mineral oil. Indian Pediatr . 2005 Sep;42(9):877-884.
15. Agero AL, Verallo-Rowell VM. A randomized double-blind controlled trial comparing extra virgin coconut oil with mineral oil as a moisturizer for mild to moderate xerosis. Dermatitis . 2004 Sep;15(3):109-116.
16. Rele AS, Mohile RB. Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage. J Cosmet Sci . 2003 Mar-Apr;54(2):175-192.
17. Cox C, Mann J, Sutherland W, Chisholm A, Skeaff M. Effects of coconut oil, butter, and safflower oil on lipids and lipoproteins in persons with moderately elevated cholesterol levels. J Lipid Res . 1995 Aug;36(8):1787-1795.
18. Assunção ML, Ferreira HS, dos Santos AF, Cabral CR Jr, Florêncio TM. Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity. Lipids . 2009 Jul;44(7):593-601. Epub 2009 May 13.
19. Verallo-Rowell VM, Dillague KM, Syah-Tjundawan BS. Novel antibacterial and emollient effects of coconut and virgin olive oils in adult atopic dermatitis. Dermatitis . 2008 Nov-Dec;19(6):308-315.
20. Jörg Heukelbach, Hermann Feldmeier. Scabies. Lancet . 2006; 367: 1767–1774.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.