Supplement Forms/Alternate Names
- Psyllium Fiber; Plantago ovate ; Plantaginis ovatae testa ; Plantaginis ovatae Semen; Indian Plantago; Ispagol; Ispaghul; Pale Psyllium; Spogel; Blonde Psyllium
Principal Proposed Uses
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Psyllium?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Interactions You Should Know About
- Amitriptyline (Elavil)
- Doxepin (Sinequan)
- Imipramine (Tofranil)
- Seizure medicines
- Cholesterol-lowering medicines
- Diabetes medicines
- Heart medicines
1. Deglin JH, Vallerand AH. Davis's Drug Guide for Nurse s. 12th ed. FA Davis Company: Philadelphia, PA; 2010.
2. Wei ZH, Wang H, Chen XY, et al. Time- and dose-dependent effect of psyllium on serum lipids in mild-to-moderate hypercholesterolemia: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. Eur J Clin Nutr . 2009 Jul;63(7):821-827.
3. Ganji V, Kuo J. Serum lipid responses to psyllium fiber: differences between pre- and post-menopausal, hypercholesterolemic women. Nutr J . 2008;7:22.
4. Cicero AF, Derosa G, Manca M, Bove M, Borghi C, Gaddi AV. Different effect of psyllium and guar dietary supplementation on blood pressure control in hypertensive overweight patients: a six-month, randomized clinical trial. Clin Exp Hypertens . 2007 Aug;29(6):383-394.
5. Sierra M, García JJ, Fernández N, Diez MJ, Calle AP. Therapeutic effects of psyllium in type 2 diabetic patients. Eur J Clin Nutr . 2002 Sep;56(9):830-842.
6. Shaffer EA, Edwards AL, Brant R, Van Rosendaal GM. Effect of time of administration on cholesterol-lowering by psyllium: a randomized cross-over study in normocholesterolemic or slightly hypercholesterolemic subjects. Nutr J . 2004 Sep 28;3:17.
7. Sprecher DL, Harris BV, Goldberg AC, et al. Efficacy of psyllium in reducing serum cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic patients on high- or low-fat diets. Ann Intern Med . 1993 Oct 1;119:545-554.
8. Ramkumar D, Rao SS. Efficacy and safety of traditional medical therapies for chronic constipation: systematic review. Am J Gastroenterol . 2005 Apr;100(4):936-971.
9. Bijkerk CJ, Muris JW, Knottnerus JA, Hoes AW, de Wit NJ. Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 2004 Feb 1;19(3):245-251.
10. Marlett JA, Li BU, Patrow CJ, Bass P. Comparative laxation of psyllium with and without senna in an ambulatory constipated population. Am J Gastroenterol . 1987 Apr;82(4):333-337.
11. Cheskin LJ, Kamal N, Crowell MD, Schuster MM, Whitehead WE. Mechanisms of constipation in older persons and effects of fiber compared with placebo. J Am Geriatr Soc . 1995 Jun;43(6):666-669.
12. Ashraf W, Park F, Lof J, Quigley EM. Effects of psyllium therapy on stool characteristics, colon transit and anorectal function in chronic idiopathic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 1995 Dec;9(6):639-647.
13. Odes HS, Madar Z. A double-blind trial of a celandin, aloe vera, and psyllium laxative preparation in adult patients with constipation. Digestion . 1991;49(2):65-71.
14. McRorie JW, Daggy BP, Morel JG, et al. Psyllium is superior to docusate sodium for treatment of chronic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 1998 May;12(5):491-497.
15. University of Maryland Medical Center. Psyllium. University of Maryland Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/psyllium-000321.htm . Updated May 6, 2009. Accessed September 22, 2010.
16. Uehleke B, Ortiz M, Stange R. Cholesterol reduction using psyllium husks—do gastrointestinal adverse effects limit compliance? Results of a specific observational study. Phytomedicine . 2008 Mar;15(3):153-9.
17. Petchetti L, Frishman WH, Petrillo R, Raju K. Nutriceuticals in cardiovascular disease: psyllium. Cardiol Rev . 2007 May-Jun;15(3):116-22.
18. Shrestha S, Freake HC, McGrane MM, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. A combination of psyllium and plant sterols alters lipoprotein metabolism in hypercholesterolemic subjects by modifying the intravascular processing of lipoproteins and increasing LDL uptake. J Nutr . 2007 May;137(5):1165-70.
19. Ziai SA, Larijani B, Akhoondzadeh S, et al. Psyllium decreased serum glucose and glycosylated hemoglobin significantly in diabetic outpatients. J Ethnopharmacol . 2005 Nov 14;102(2):202-7.
20. Moreno LA, Tresaco B, Bueno G, et al. Psyllium fibre and the metabolic control of obese children and adolescents. J Physiol Biochem . 2003 Sep;59(3):235-42.
21. Bulk-forming laxatives. DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 26, 2010. Accessed September 27, 2010.
22. Bijkerk CJ, de Wit NJ, Muris JW, et al. Soluble or insoluble fibre in irritable bowel syndrome in primary care? Randomised placebo controlled trial. BMJ . 2009 Aug 27;339.
23. Bliss DZ, Jung HJ, Savik K, et al. Supplementation with dietary fiber improves fecal incontinence. Nurs Res . 2001 Jul-Aug;50(4):203-13.
24. Anderson JW, Allgood LD, Lawrence A, et al. Cholesterol-lowering effects of psyllium intake adjunctive to diet therapy in men and women with hypercholesterolemia: meta-analysis of 8 controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr . 2000 Feb;71(2):472-9.
25. Burke V, Hodgson JM, Beilin LJ, et al. Dietary protein and soluble fiber reduce ambulatory blood pressure in treated hypertensives. Hypertension . 2001 Oct;38(4):821-6.
26. Psyllium. National Center for Biotechnology Information, United States National Library of Medicine website. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000092 . Updated February 1, 2009. Accessed September 28, 2010.
27 Suares NC, Ford AC. Systematic review: the effects of fibre in the management of chronic idiopathic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;33(8):895-901.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/18/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.