Supplement Forms/Alternate Names
- Psyllium Fiber; Plantago ovate ; Plantaginis ovatae testa ; Plantaginis ovatae Semen; Indian Plantago; Ispagol; Ispaghul; Pale Psyllium; Spogel; Blonde Psyllium
Principal Proposed Uses
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Psyllium?
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Interactions You Should Know About
- Amitriptyline (Elavil)
- Doxepin (Sinequan)
- Imipramine (Tofranil)
- Seizure medicines
- Cholesterol-lowering medicines
- Diabetes medicines
- Heart medicines
2. Wei ZH, Wang H, Chen XY, et al. Time- and dose-dependent effect of psyllium on serum lipids in mild-to-moderate hypercholesterolemia: a meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. Eur J Clin Nutr . 2009 Jul;63(7):821-827.
4. Cicero AF, Derosa G, Manca M, Bove M, Borghi C, Gaddi AV. Different effect of psyllium and guar dietary supplementation on blood pressure control in hypertensive overweight patients: a six-month, randomized clinical trial. Clin Exp Hypertens . 2007 Aug;29(6):383-394.
6. Shaffer EA, Edwards AL, Brant R, Van Rosendaal GM. Effect of time of administration on cholesterol-lowering by psyllium: a randomized cross-over study in normocholesterolemic or slightly hypercholesterolemic subjects. Nutr J . 2004 Sep 28;3:17.
7. Sprecher DL, Harris BV, Goldberg AC, et al. Efficacy of psyllium in reducing serum cholesterol levels in hypercholesterolemic patients on high- or low-fat diets. Ann Intern Med . 1993 Oct 1;119:545-554.
9. Bijkerk CJ, Muris JW, Knottnerus JA, Hoes AW, de Wit NJ. Systematic review: the role of different types of fibre in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 2004 Feb 1;19(3):245-251.
12. Ashraf W, Park F, Lof J, Quigley EM. Effects of psyllium therapy on stool characteristics, colon transit and anorectal function in chronic idiopathic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 1995 Dec;9(6):639-647.
15. University of Maryland Medical Center. Psyllium. University of Maryland Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/psyllium-000321.htm . Updated May 6, 2009. Accessed September 22, 2010.
16. Uehleke B, Ortiz M, Stange R. Cholesterol reduction using psyllium husks—do gastrointestinal adverse effects limit compliance? Results of a specific observational study. Phytomedicine . 2008 Mar;15(3):153-9.
18. Shrestha S, Freake HC, McGrane MM, Volek JS, Fernandez ML. A combination of psyllium and plant sterols alters lipoprotein metabolism in hypercholesterolemic subjects by modifying the intravascular processing of lipoproteins and increasing LDL uptake. J Nutr . 2007 May;137(5):1165-70.
21. Bulk-forming laxatives. DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 26, 2010. Accessed September 27, 2010.
24. Anderson JW, Allgood LD, Lawrence A, et al. Cholesterol-lowering effects of psyllium intake adjunctive to diet therapy in men and women with hypercholesterolemia: meta-analysis of 8 controlled trials. Am J Clin Nutr . 2000 Feb;71(2):472-9.
26. Psyllium. National Center for Biotechnology Information, United States National Library of Medicine website. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000092 . Updated February 1, 2009. Accessed September 28, 2010.
27 Suares NC, Ford AC. Systematic review: the effects of fibre in the management of chronic idiopathic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2011;33(8):895-901.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.