Supplement Forms/Alternate Names
- Rhamnus purshiana ; Sacred Bark; Frangula purshiana ; Chitum; Californian Buckthorn; Bitter Bark; Buckthorn; Chittem Bark; Dogwood Bark; Purshiana Bark; Rhamni Purshianae Cortex; Sagrada Bark; Yellow Bark
Principal Proposed Uses
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Cascara Sagrada?
Interactions You Should Know About
4. Stimulant laxatives. PubMed Health website. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000099 . Reviewed February 1, 2009. Accessed September 17, 2010.
5. Nadir A, Reddy D, Van Thiel DH. Cascara sagrada-induced intrahepatic cholestasis causing portal hypertension: case report and review of herbal hepatotoxicity. Am J Gastroenterol . 2000 Dec;95(12):3634-7.
6. Malagelada JR, Malagelada C. Nausea and vomiting. In: Feldman M, Friedman LS, Brandt LJ, eds. Sleisenger & Fordtran’s Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease . 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier; 2006:chap 8.
10. Cascara. Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center website. Available at: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69165.cfm . Updated August 24, 2010. Accessed September 20, 2010.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.