Supplement Forms/Alternate Names
- Dried Yeast Fermentate; Faex; Faex Medicinalis; Levure De Biere; Medicinal Yeast; Saccharomyces cerevisiae ; Saccharomyces boulardii
Principal Proposed Uses
- Protein Supplement; Treatment for Various Forms of Diarrhea , including Traveler’s Diarrhea, Antibiotic-associated Diarrhea, and Acute Diarrhea
- Antibiotic-associated diarrhea
- Traveler’s diarrhea
- Acute diarrhea from any cause
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Clostridium difficile colitis
- Lactose intolerance
What Is the Scientific Evidence for Brewer’s Yeast?
Cold and Flu
Interactions You Should Know About
Antidepression MedicationsMonoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs)
Pain MedicationMeperidine (Demerol)
1. Acidophilus and other probiotics. EBSCO Natural and Alternative Treatments website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/thisTopic.php?marketID=15&topicID=114 . Updated August 1, 2010. Accessed August 26, 2010.
2. Moyad MA. Brewer's/baker's yeast ( Saccharomyces cerevisiae ) and preventive medicine: part I. Urol Nurs . 2007 Dec;27(6):560-561.
3. Jones K. Probiotics: preventing antibiotic-associated diarrhea. J Spec Pediatr Nurs . 2010 Apr;15(2):160-2.
4. Moyad MA, Robinson LE, Zawada ET Jr, et al. Effects of a modified yeast supplement on cold/flu symptoms. Urol Nurs . 2008 Feb;28(1):50-55.
5. McFarland LV. Systematic review and meta-analysis of Saccharomyces boulardii in adult patients. World J Gastroenterol . 2010 May 14;16(18):2202-2222.
6. Bahijiri SM, Mira SA, Mufti AM, Ajabnoor MA. The effects of inorganic chromium and brewer's yeast supplementation on glucose tolerance, serum lipids and drug dosage in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Saudi Med J . 2000 Sep;21(9):831-837.
7. Brewer’s yeast. University of Maryland Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/brewers-yeast-000288.htm . Reviewed March 14, 2009. Accessed August 26, 2010.
8. Allen SJ, Okoko B, Martinez EG, Gregorio GV, Dans LF. Probiotics for treating infectious diarrhoea. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2003, Issue 4. Art. No.: CD003048. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD003048.pub2.
9. Szajewska H, Sko RKA A, Dylag M. Meta-analysis: Saccharomyces boulardii for treating acute diarrhea in children. Aliment Pharmacol Ther . 2007 Feb 1;25(3):257.
10. Makbule E, Dinleyici EC, Vandenplas Y. Clinical efficacy comparison of Saccharomyces boulardii and yogurt fluid in acute non-bloody diarrhea in children: a randomized, controlled, open label study. Am J Trop Med Hyg . 2010 Mar;82(3):488.
11. McFarland LV, Surawicz CM, Greenberg RN, et al. A randomized placebo-controlled trial of Saccharomyces boulardii in combination with standard antibiotics for Clostridium difficile disease. JAMA . 1994 Jun 22-29;271(24):1913.
12. McFarland LV. Meta-analysis of probiotics for the prevention of traveler's diarrhea. Travel Med Infect Dis . 2007 Mar;5(2):97-105.
13. Kollaritsch H, Holst H, Grobara P, Wiedermann G. Prevention of traveler's diarrhea with Saccharomyces boulardii . Results of a placebo controlled double-blind study. Fortschr Med . 1993 Mar 30;111(9):152-156.
14. Hurduc V, Plesca D, Dragomir D, Sajin M, Vandenplas Y. A randomized, open trial evaluating the effect of Saccharomyces boulardii on the eradication rate of Helicobacter pylori infection in children. Acta Paediatr . 2009 Jan;98(1):127-131.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.