Premature Rupture of Membranes
|Fetus with Amniotic Sac|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Early dilation of the cervix . This may be due to the weight of baby and placenta, or changes in the cervix itself.
- Infections of the vagina, uterus, or membranes surrounding the fetus.
- Visual exam—the doctor may be able to see a trickle of fluid through the cervix, or a pool of fluid collected behind the cervix
- Nitrazine paper test—the doctor puts a small amount of fluid on a piece of paper to see if it is amniotic fluid
- Microscopic exam of the fluid
American Pregnancy Association http://www.americanpregnancy.org
National Institute of Child Health and Development http://www.nichd.nih.gov
About Kids Health http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
ACOG Committee on Practice Bulletins-Obstetrics. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 80: premature rupture of membranes. Clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;109(4):1007-1019. Reaffirmed 2012.
Placental abruption. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated February 14, 2013. Accessed August 1, 2013.
Premature rupture of membranes: causes, risks, and treatment. Pregnancy Info website. Available at: http://www.pregnancy-info.net/prom.html. Accessed August 1, 2013.
Premature rupture of membranes at term (term PROM). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated February 5, 2013. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.