Sports-Related Wrist and Hand Injuries
Injuries to the Bone
Dislocations of the PIP Joint
Soft Tissue and Closed Tendon Injuries
- Tendinitis—inflammation of the tendon associated with acute injury
- Tendinosis—microtears in the tendon tissue with no significant inflammation, associated with chronic injury
Preventing Sports-Related Hand and Wrist Injuries
- Take your time : Gradually work yourself into shape for any new activities. Slowly increase the lengthy of time and intesity of all activities.
- Wrist guards : If your sport is rollerblading, street hockey, or skateboarding, wrist guards may help protect you from bone fractures and hand scrapes if you fall or slide.
- Gloves : Use gloves to protect your hands, particularly if you are a bicyclist or skateboarder. The gloves will help protect your hands if the palm suffers a direct blow. In addition to protecting your nerves, gloves can protect your skin from direct wounds and cuts.
- Warm-up : Before playing sports, include a warm-up routine where you focus on light stretching and improving your flexibility. Warm-ups should also include light running, walking, or biking to elevate your heart rate and loosen your muscles.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
American Council on Exercise http://www.acefitness.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Aronowitz ER, Leddy JP. Closed tendon injuries of the hand and wrist in athletes. Clin Sports Med. 1998;17(3):449-467.
Brown HC. Common injuries of the athlete’s hand. Can Med Assoc J. 1977;117(6):621-625.
Chen NC, Jupiter JB, et al. Sports-related wrist injuries in adults. Sports Health. 2009;1(6):469-477.
Flexor tendon injuries. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00015. Updated January 2011. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Hand and wrist pain—differential diagnosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 10, 2013. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Hand fractures. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00010. Updated October 2007. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Morgan WJ, Slowman LS. Acute hand and wrist injuries in athletes: Evaluation and management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2001;9(6):389-400.
Sprained thumb. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00022. Updated May 2010. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Women's Heart Foundation. Stretching exercises for women. Women's Heart Foundation website. Available at: http://www.womensheart.org/content/Exercise/stretching%5Fexercise.asp. Accessed February 3, 2014.
Wrist sprains. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00023. Updated September 2010. Accessed February 3, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/03/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.