Sports-Related Wrist and Hand Injuries
Injuries to the Bone
Dislocations of the PIP Joint
Soft Tissue and Closed Tendon Injuries
Preventing Sports-Related Hand and Wrist Injuries
- Wrist guards: If your sport is rollerblading, street hockey, or skateboarding, wrist guards may help protect you from bone fractures and hand scrapes if you fall or slide.
- Gloves: Use gloves to protect your hands, particularly if you are a bicyclist or skateboarder. The gloves will help protect your hands if the palm suffers a direct blow. In addition to protecting your nerves, gloves can protect your skin from direct wounds and cuts.
- Warm-up : Before playing sports, include a warm-up routine where you focus on stretching and improving your flexibility.
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org/
American Council on Exercise http://www.acefitness.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Aronowitz ER, Leddy JP. Closed tendon injuries of the hand and wrist in athletes. Clin Sports Med. 1998;17(3):449-467.
Brown HC. Common injuries of the athlete’s hand. Can Med Assoc J. 1977;117(6):621-625.
Flexor tendon injuries. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr%5Freport.cfm?Thread%5FID=392&topcategory=Hand . Updated January 2011. Accessed May 21, 2012.
Hand fractures. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr%5Freport.cfm?Thread%5FID=265&topcategory=Hand . Updated October 2007. Accessed May 21, 2012.
Luby LK. Common hand injuries in the athlete [Abstract]. Orthop Clin North Am. 1980;11(4):819-839.
Mastey RD, Weiss AP, Akelman E. Primary care of hand and wrist athletic injuries. Clin Sports Med. 1997;16(4):705-724.
McCue FC III, Baugher WH, Kulund DN, et al. Hand and wrist injuries in the athlete. Am J Sports Med. 1979;7(5):275-286.
Sprained thumb. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00022 . Updated May 2010. Accessed May 21, 2012.
Women's Heart Foundation. Stretching exercises for women. Women's Heart Foundation website. Available at: http://www.womensheart.org/content/Exercise/stretching%5Fexercise.asp. Accessed May 21, 2012.
Wrist sprains. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00023 . Updated September 2010. Accessed May 21, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2012 -
- Update Date: 05/21/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.