Acute Compartment Syndrome
(ACS; Compartment Syndrome, Acute; Volkmann’s Ischemia)
|Compartment Syndrome in Lower Leg|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Vein obstructions in the extremities
- Complication of surgery
Pre-existing condition that could lead to fatal bleeding in cases of trauma, such as:
- Taking anticoagulants
- Having a bleeding disorder such as hemophilia
- Participation in certain collision or contact sports such as football
- Bandages or casts that are worn too tightly or worn for too long
- Recent injury to the area
- Swelling of tissues under the skin
- Severe pain
- Feeling of tightness or fullness of muscles
- Swollen, pale, shiny skin over affected area
- Numbness or tingling
- Slit catheter
- Near-infrared spectroscopy
- Wearing proper equipment when playing sports
- Making sure that your medical records mention if you have used anticoagulants or if you have blood diseases
- Being aware of the risk of ACS when you are wearing a bandage or cast
National Institutes of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases http://www.niams.nih.gov
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Canadian Physiotherapy Association http://www.physiotherapy.ca
Basic metabolic panel. American Association for Clinical Chemistry Lab Tests Online website. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/bmp/tab/glance. Updated September 6, 2012. Accessed November 25, 2013.
Cascio B, Wilckens J, et al. Documentation of acute compartment syndrome at an academic health-care center. J Bone Joint Surg. 2005;87:346-350.
Compartment syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons Ortho Info website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00204. Updated October 2009. Accessed November 25, 2013.
Compartment syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated November 20, 2013. Accessed November 25, 2013.
Complete blood count. American Association for Clinical Chemistry Lab Tests Online website. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cbc/test.htm. Updated June 25, 2012. Accessed October 24, 2012.
Comprehensive metabolic panel. American Association for Clinical Chemistry Lab Tests Online website. Available at: http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/cmp/tab/glance. Updated September 6, 2012. Accessed November 25, 2013.
Erdos J, Dlaska C, et al. Acute compartment syndrome in children: a case series in 24 patients and review of the literature. Int Orthop. 2011 Apr;35(4):569-575.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.