Calcific Tendonitis of the Shoulder
|Tendons of the Shoulder|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Over age 40
- Sudden onset of pain
- Intense pain with shoulder movement
- Stiffness of shoulder
- Loss of shoulder range of motion
- Pain that disrupts sleep
- Tenderness over rotator cuff
- Loss of muscle mass
- Thorough physical evaluation—assessing your shoulder range of motion and stability
- X-ray —test that uses radiation waves to form a picture of the body’s structures; used to view calcium deposit(s)
- Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Heat and/or ice
- Physical therapy to strengthen muscles
- A steroid (such as cortisone) shot directly into your shoulder—might be used to decrease inflammation and pain
- Ultrasound—a device that uses high energy sound waves to decrease pain in soft tissue
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS)—used to decrease muscle stiffness or spasms
Shock Wave Therapy
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.aaos.org/home.asp
Arthroscopy Association of North America http://www.aana.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org/
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org/
Calcific tendonitis. Internet Society of Orthopaedic Surgery & Trauma website. Available at: http://www.orthogate.org/patient-education/shoulder/calcific-tendonitis-of-the-shoulder.html . Accessed November 12, 2008.
Impingement of the shoulder. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00032 . Accessed November 12, 2008.
Impingement syndrome of rotator cuff. DynaMed website. Available at: http://dynaweb.ebscohost.com/Detail.aspx?id=114840&sid=0df83b41-46fc-43a0-a992-4ca336531894@sessionmgr2 . Accessed November 12, 2008.
Tintinalli JE, Kelen GD, Stapczynski JS. Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide . 6th Ed. United States: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2004; Chapter 283, Nontraumatic Musculoskeletal Disorders.
- Reviewer: John C. Keel, MD
- Review Date: 12/2012 -
- Update Date: 12/03/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.