(LCPD; Osteonecrosis of the Hip; Avascular Necrosis; Ischemic Necrosis; Coxa Plana; Osteochondritis)
|Damage and repairs to the femoral head causes a limp.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Small or short for age
- Delayed maturity
- Athletic, active child
- Secondhand smoke exposure
- Blood clotting abnormalities
- Hip pain
- Groin, thigh, or knee pain
- Reduced range of motion in the hip
- Shortening of the leg, or legs that are not the same length
- Muscle weakness in the upper thigh
- It may include using crutches, traction, a brace, or cast.
- It is usually done before surgery is recommended for children less than 6 years old.
- The top of the thigh bone may be resurfaced with metal.
- Bone removal may be done to reposition or reshape the hip bone.
- Rarely, the hip will be replaced.
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
National Osteonecrosis Foundation http://www.nonf.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Adkins S, Figler R. Hip pain in athletes. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Apr 1;61(7):2109-2118. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2109.html. Accessed March 10, 2015.
Legg-Perthes disease. National Osteonecrosis Foundation website. Available at: http://www.nonf.org/perthesbrochure/perthes-brochure.htm. Accessed March 10, 2015.
Leet AI, Skaggs DL. Evaluation of the acutely limping child. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Feb 15;61(4):1011-1018. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0215/p1011.html. Accessed March 10, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 02/24/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.