Types of Cancer
- Hematologic cancers
- Cancers of the central nervous system (CNS)
- Leukemias are cancers of the immature blood cells that grow in the bone marrow and tend to accumulate in large numbers in the bloodstream. Leukemia is usually an overgrowth of white blood cells, but rarely may also involve the cells that produce red cells or platelets.
- Lymphomas are cancers of the white blood cells that primarily occupy the lymph nodes and tissues of the body's immune system.
- Multiple myelomas are cancers of the white blood cells (plasma cells) that produce the antibodies your body uses to fight infection. The name comes from the fact that these cancers tend to produce many (multiple) discrete tumors of these cells in bones and soft tissues (myelomas).
American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2003 . Atlanta, GA: American Cancer Society, Inc; 2003.
Bast RC, Kufe DW, Pollock RE, et al. Eds. Cancer Medicine . 5th ed. Hamilton, ON: Decker Inc; 2000.
Cancer. Merck Manual of Medical Information website. Available at: http://www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual%5Fhome/contents.jsp . Accessed March 25, 2003.
Defining cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/what-is-cancer . Accessed August 1, 2008.
Detailed guide. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/ . Accessed August 1, 2008.
Finley RS, Balmer C. Concepts in Oncology Therapeutics . 2nd ed. Bethesda, MD: American Society of Health-System Pharmacists;1998.
Fox SI. Human Physiology . 4th ed. Dubuque, IA: William C. Brown Publishers; 1993.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/15/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.