Mitral Valve Prolapse
Principal Proposed Natural Treatments:
- Chest pain with no apparent medical cause
- Panic attacks/anxiety
- Heart palpitations
- Balance problems
- Hypersensitive startle reflex
- Shortness of breath
- Numbness or tingling in the fingers or toes
- Sensitivity to caffeine and other stimulants
Principal Proposed Natural Treatments
Other Proposed Natural Treatments
- 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)
- Lemon balm
- Multivitamin/multimineral supplements
Herbs and Supplements to Use Only with Caution
1 Freed LA, Levy D, Levine RA, et al. Prevalence and clinical outcome of mitral-valve prolapse. N Engl J Med . 1999;341:1–7.
2 Lichodziejewska B, Klos J, Rezler J, et al. Clinical symptoms of mitral valve prolapse are related to hypomagnesemia and attenuated by magnesium supplementation. Am J Cardiol . 1997;79:768–772.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/18/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.