- A condition related to varicose veins called chronic venous insufficiency can cause swelling in the legs. Numerous natural treatments have substantial supporting evidence of effectiveness for this condition. 1
- Women who have undergone a mastectomy for breast cancer may experience swelling in the arm near the affected breast. This condition is called lymphedema, and natural treatments that may help are discussed in the surgery support article.
- Minor injuries as well as surgery may cause swelling as part of the healing process.
- Congestive heart failure can also cause leg swelling.
- Women with premenstrual syndrome (PMS) often experience fluid retention prior to the onset of menstruation.
- Edema frequently occurs during pregnancy .
1 Bratman S, Girman A. Mosby’s Handbook of Herbs and Supplements and their Therapeutic Uses. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, Inc.; 2003.
2 Christie S, Walker AF, Lewith GT et al. Flavonoids—a new direction for the treatment of fluid retention? Phytother Res . 2001;15:467–475.
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.