Radiation Therapy for Bladder Cancer
Types of Radiotherapy Used for Bladder Cancer
Side Effects and Possible Complications
- Men may have difficulty getting and maintaining an erection.
- Women may experience vaginal dryness, causing discomfort during intercourse.
- Patients may be unable to have children after treatment.
Bladder irritation may cause problems with urination:
- Frequent need to urinate
- Urgent need to urinate
- Pain/burning with urination
- Diarrhea and reduction in bladder capacity may also occur.
Bladder cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladdercancer/ . Accessed June 5, 2013.
Bladder cancer. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=100 . Updated March 2013. Accessed June 5, 2013.
What you need to know about bladder cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/wyntk/bladder . Updated August 30, 2010. Accessed June 5, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/28/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.