Lifestyle Changes to Manage Esophageal Cancer
- Strengthening your body so that you can withstand some of the rigors of treatment
- Optimizing the function of your immune system to aid in the fight against cancer
- Improving your emotional outlook, so you can enjoy life to the fullest, even during treatment for esophageal cancer
- Making healthful choices that will help you avoid other medical problems that could complicate your health
Reduce Your Risk of Infection
- Try to avoid crowds, especially during cold and flu season.
- Ask your doctor about immunization against the flu and pneumonia.
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often . Hand washing is the most effective method of decreasing the chance of catching colds and flu. You may wish to carry hand sanitizer with you for occasions when washing is not convenient.
Follow a Nutritious Diet
Rest When Tired
- Religious community
- Empathetic support groups for people with your type of cancer
- Professional support, including social workers, psychologists, and/or psychiatrists who are trained to help support cancer patients and their families
When to Contact Your Doctor
Esophageal cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 2, 2013. Accessed August 5, 2013.
Esophageal cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/esophageal . Accessed August 5, 2013.
Esophagus cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid/documents/webcontent/003098-pdf.pdf . Accessed August 5, 2013.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/28/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.