Risk Factors for Bladder Cancer
- Workers in the dye, leather, paper, rubber, and metal industries
- Barbers and beauticians
- People working with dry-cleaning chemicals
- Tar and asphalt workers
- Truck drivers
- The presence of a bladder catheter—A bladder catheter is a tube used to drain the bladder when the bladder is not able to do so normally; these are often required by people who have certain types of paralysis.
- Bladder stones—These are occur from abnormal build up of substances that create a stone-like formation in the bladder.
- Bladder infections left untreated over a long period of time
- Infection with certain parasites that live in the bladder, particularly Schistosomiasis . This parasite is not found in the United States, but is common in tropical regions of the world.
Bladder cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladdercancer/. Accessed June 5, 2013.
Bladder cancer. Urology Care Foundation website. Available at: http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=100. Updated March 2013. Accessed June 5, 2013.
What you need to know about bladder cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at http://www.cancer.gov/cancerinfo/wyntk/bladder . Updated August 30, 2010. Accessed June 5, 2013.
12/9/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Zhu Z, Wang X, et al. Risk of bladder cancer in patients with diabetes mellitus: an updated meta-analysis of 36 observational studies. BMC Cancer. 2013 Jun 26;13:310.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 12/09/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.