|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Test
- Diagnose heart attacks and rhythm problems
- Offer clues about other heart conditions and conditions not directly related to the heart
- Detect conditions that change the body’s balance of electrolytes, such as potassium and magnesium
- Detect other problems, such as overdoses of certain drugs
- Chest discomfort or pain
- Shortness of breath
- History of fainting
What to Expect
Prior to Test
- Have a physical exam
- Be asked about your medical history
- Have your chest shaved if needed
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
Heart Rhythm Society http://www.hrsonline.org
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.ca
Electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG). American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Electrocardiogram-ECG-or-EKG%5FUCM%5F309050%5FArticle.jsp. Updated November 26, 2012. Accessed March 11, 2015.
Noninvasive tests and procedures. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/SymptomsDiagnosisofHeartAttack/Non-Invasive-Tests-and-Procedures%5FUCM%5F303930%5FArticle.jsp. Updated April 15, 2013. Accessed March 11, 2015.
What is an electrocardiogram? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ekg/. Updated October 1, 2010. Accessed March 11, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/02/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.