West Nile Virus
- Being over 50 years old
- Having a condition that affects your immune system
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Fever and chills
- Muscle pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Eye inflammation (conjunctivitis)
- High fever
- Stiff neck
- Vision loss
- Severe muscle weakness
- What kind of symptoms you are experiencing
- Where you have been living or traveling to
- Whether you have been exposed to mosquitoes
- Pain relieving medicine
- Medicine to reduce nausea and vomiting
- Mechanical ventilation (breathing support)
- Medicine to control seizures
- Medicine to decrease brain swelling
- Not going outdoors at dawn or dusk
- Wearing long pants and long-sleeve shirts when outdoors
- Using an insect repellent with DEET
- Repairing screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering the house
- Removing standing water (eg, bird baths, clogged gutters) to prevent mosquito breeding
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Healthy U http://www.healthyalberta.com/
Glass JD, Samuels O, Rich MM. Poliomyelitis due to West Nile virus [letter]. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1280-1281.
Petersen LR, Marfin AA. West Nile virus: a primer for the clinician. Ann Intern Med. 2002;137:173-179.
Petersen LR, Roehrig JT, Hughes JM. West Nile virus encephalitis. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:1225-1226.
Quick lesson about West Nile infection. EBSCO Nursing Reference Center website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/pointOfCare/nrc-about. Updated September 7, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
West Nile virus infection. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/. Updated September 13, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
West Nile virus: what you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/wnv%5FfactSheet.htm. Updated September 12, 2012. Accessed September 24, 2012.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 09/25/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.