How to Meditate
Benefits of Meditation
- Reducing heart rate and blood pressure by opening blood vessels
- Reducing respiratory rate and oxygen consumption
- Reducing blood flow to skeletal muscles
- Reducing muscle tension
- Increasing immunity (resistance to or recovery from illness)
- Increasing energy, awareness, and mental focus
- Sit in a comfortable position on the floor or in a chair.
- Make sure the cushion you sit on is slightly higher in the back than in front, tipping you forward slightly.
- If you choose a chair, keep your knees comfortably apart and rest your hands in your lap.
- Keep shoulders level and your elbows away from your side to promote air circulation.
- Keep your spine straight and vertical, but not rigid.
- Sitting in a cross-legged position is not necessary, but try to get as close to this position as possible as it promotes relaxation and detachment.
- Find a quiet location.
- Focus your attention by repeating a mantra, or staring at an object.
- Keep an open mind.
- Minimize distraction and keep your mind from wandering.
- Breathe through your nose, if possible.
- Be attentive to your breathing, but stay relaxed and breathe naturally.
Mental Health America http://www.nmha.org/
National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine http://nccam.nih.gov/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Canadian Meditation Institute http://www.canadianmeditation.org/
Depression alternative treatments. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 20, 2012. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Fibromyalgia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 10, 2012. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Generalized anxiety disorder. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated November 8, 2012. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Hypertension alternative treatments. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 17, 2012. Accessed November 13, 2012.
Insomnia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated July 9, 2012. Accessed November 13, 2012.
How to Meditate. How to Meditate website. Available at: http://www.how-to-meditate.org/index.php/ Accessed November 13, 2012
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/14/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.