Acute Renal Failure
|Anatomy of the Kidney|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Having a chronic disease, such as diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, liver disease, or high blood pressure
- Increased age
- Bleeding, especially from the gastrointestinal tract
- Certain medications and illegal drugs
- Complications following surgeries or care in an intensive care unit (ICU)
- Overuse of certain over-the-counter painkillers known as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as ibuprofen, naproxen sodium, and ketoprofen
- Use of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
- Obstructive causes such as benign prostatic hypertrophy and bladder tumor
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Undergoing dialysis
- Treating obstruction with a catheter or stent
- Maintaining adequate blood volume with fluids given by IV
- Stopping medications or drugs that caused the loss of function
- Treating related problems, such as kidney stones or infections
- Incorporating a diet with limited protein intake, supervised by a physician
- Renal transplant
- Get a physical every year that includes a urine test to monitor your kidney health.
- Drink water and other fluids to stay hydrated.
- Don't take drugs or other substances that can damage your kidneys. Check with your doctor to find out about the potential side effects of any medications you are taking.
- People at risk for chronic kidney disease should get more frequent check-ups at their doctor's office.
National Kidney Disease Education Program http://www.nkdep.nih.gov
National Kidney Foundation http://www.kidney.org
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
The Kidney Foundation of Canada http://www.kidney.ca
Acute renal failure. DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated July 4, 2013. Accessed July 12, 2013.
Hilton R. Acute renal failure. BMJ. 2006;333:786-790.
Needham E. Management of acute renal failure. Am Fam Physician. 2005;72:1739-1746. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/20051101/1739.html. Accessed July 13, 2013.
Rondon-Berrios H, Palevsky PM. Treatment of acute kidney injury: an update on the management of renal replacement therapy. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens. 2007;16:64-70.
Venkataraman R, Kellum JA. Prevention of acute renal failure. Chest. 2007;131:300-308.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD; Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 07/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.