(Arnold-Chiari Malformation; Type II Chiari Malformation; Cerebellomedullary Malformation Syndrome)
|Brain Stem and Lower Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Paralysis of the limbs
- Chronic cough or hoarseness
- Weakness in the legs
- Inability to hear or ringing in the ears
- Eye problems such as difficulty seeing, eye pain, and rapid eye movement
- Poor coordination
- Uncontrolled shaking or trembling
- Difficulty walking
- Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs
- Physical or occupational therapy can help improve muscular coordination and trembling. Braces or a wheelchair may also be needed.
- Speech therapy for speech or swallowing problems
- Medication to help manage headaches and pain
American Syringomyelia & Chiari Alliance Project http://www.asap.org
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Canadian Neurological Sciences Federation http://www.cnsfederation.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Chiari malformation. Comer Children’s Hospital website. Available at: http://www.uchicagokidshospital.org/online-library/content=P02592. Accessed February 12, 2014.
Chiari malformations. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 12, 2012. Accessed February 12, 2014.
Chiari malformation information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/chiari/chiari.htm. Updated December 30, 2013. Accessed February 12, 2014.
Hekman KE, Aliaga L, et al. Positive and negative predictors for good outcome after decompressive surgery for Chiari malformation type 1 as scored on the Chicago Chiari Outcome Scale. Nuerol Res. 2012;34(7):694-700.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/12/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.