(Exanthem Subitum; Roseola Infantum)
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- 103°F to 105°F
- Begins suddenly and is not associated with other symptoms
- Lasts 3 days, sometimes a day or two longer
- Convulsions may occur in association with high fever in up to 5% to 10% of children
A rash that develops 12-24 hours after the fever
- Appears on the chest and abdomen first
- May spread to arms, legs, neck, and face
- Lasts for a few hours to a few days and does not itch
Other symptoms or signs may include:
- Swelling of lymph nodes in the neck and behind the ears
- Poor appetite
- Upper respiratory tract infection symptoms that may occur before the fever
- Medications, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen
- Lukewarm sponge baths
- Plenty of fluids
- Note : Aspirin is not recommended for children with a current or recent viral infection. Check with your doctor before giving your child aspirin.
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
About Kids Health—The Hospital for Sick Children http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
Alberta Health http://www.health.alberta.ca
Roseola infantum. American Academy of Pediatricians Healthy Children website. Available at: http://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/conditions/skin/Pages/Roseola-Infantum.aspx. Updated May 11, 2013. Accessed August 5, 2013.
Roseola. Nemour' Kid's Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/skin/roseola.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed August 5, 2013.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 06/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.