Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Being an adolescent
- Approaching menopause
- Menstrual bleeding lasting more than seven days
- Unusually heavy bleeding (soaking through a sanitary napkin or tampon every hour)
- Menstrual flow requiring change of sanitary protection during the night
- Menstrual flow including large clots
- Menstrual flow interfering with lifestyle
- Fatigue and/or shortness of breath (symptoms of anemia )
When Should I Call My Doctor?
- Hormonal therapy
- An IUD that releases the hormone progesterone
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Iron supplement
- Dilation and curettage
- Operative hysteroscopy (may be used along with other tools to remove a polyp)
- Endometrial ablation (removal of the lining of the uterus)—This procedure reduces your chance of becoming pregnant.
- Hysterectomy (removal of the uterus)—After this procedure, you will not be able to become pregnant.
The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org/
The National Women’s Health Information Center http://www.womenshealth.gov/
The Canadian Women's Health Network http://www.cwhn.ca/
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org/
Apgar B, Kaufman A, George-Nwogu U, Kittendorf A. Treatment of menorrhagia. American Academy of Family Physicians website. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0615/p1813.html . Published June 15, 2007. Accessed August 14, 2012.
Heavy menstrual bleeding. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated May 25, 2012. Accessed August 14, 2012.
Menorrhagia (heavy menstrual bleeding). Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/menorrhagia/DS00394 . Updated June 25, 2011. Accessed August 14, 2012.
11/20/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : FDA approves Lysteda to treat heavy menstrual bleeding. United States Food and Drug Administration website. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm190551.htm . Published November 13, 2009. Accessed November 20, 2009.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.