Chronic Venous Insufficiency
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Swelling of the legs
Pain in the legs, especially after walking:
- Red or brown darkening of the skin on the legs
- Varicose veins
- Ulcers on legs, especially around the inside of the ankles
- Scaling skin on legs
- Hard, leathery skin on legs
Improving Blood Flow
Sclerotherapy or Ablation
- Valve repair
- Vein stripping to remove the faulty vein.
- Bypass surgery—A new length of artificial vein is connected to 2 areas of the malfunctioning vein. This allows the blood flow to bypass the area that is not working.
- Maintain a healthful weight.
- Exercise regularly.
- If you smoke, talk to your doctor about how to quit.
- Avoid standing or sitting for long periods of time.
- Avoid wearing restrictive clothing such as girdles or belts.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Vascular Disease Foundation http://www.vdf.org
Canadian Society for Vascular Surgery http://canadianvascular.ca
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Chronic venous insufficiency. Vascular Web website. Available at: http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/chronic-venous-insufficiency.aspx. Updated January 2011. Accessed June 29, 2015.
2/17/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: O'Meara S, Cullum N, Nelson E. Compression for venous leg ulcers. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2009;(1):CD000265.
2/17/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Carpentier PH, Satger B. Randomized trial of balneotherapy associated with patient education in patients with advanced chronic venous insufficiency. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:163-170.
3/30/2015 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. dos Santos Crisóstomo RS, Costo DS, et al. Influence of manual lymphatic drainage on health-related quality of life and symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2015 Feb;96(2):283-291.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 03/30/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.