|Electrical Conduction System of the Heart|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Palpitations (sensation of a pounding heartbeat)
- Chest pain or tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Monitoring with a Holter monitor for 24-48 hours to check for any episodes of irregular heart beat.
- Electrophysiology study , in which a catheter (a thin tube designed to be inserted into a blood vessel) is passed to the interior of the heart where it takes detailed measurements of its electrical activity. This will detect the extra pathway.
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
Heart Rhythm Society http://www.hrsonline.org
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.com
American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.americanheart.org.
Heart Center Online website. Available at: http://heart.healthcentersonline.com .
The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy. Simon and Schuster; 1999.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/14/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.