|Electrical Conduction System of the Heart|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Palpitations (sensation of a pounding heartbeat)
- Chest pain or tightness
- Shortness of breath
- Monitoring with a Holter monitor for 24-48 hours to check for any episodes of irregular heart beat.
- Electrophysiology study , in which a catheter is passed to the interior of the heart where it takes detailed measurements of its electrical activity. This will detect the extra pathway.
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
Heart Rhythm Society http://www.hrsonline.org
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.com
Atrial fibrillation and Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular%5Fdisorders/arrhythmias%5Fand%5Fconduction%5Fdisorders/atrial%5Ffibrillation%5Fand%5Fwolff-parkinson-white%5Fsyndrome%5Fwpw.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed December 30, 2014.
Other heart rhythm disorders. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Arrhythmia/AboutArrhythmia/Other-Rhythm-Disorders%5FUCM%5F302045%5FArticle.jsp. Updated November 17, 2014. Accessed December 30, 2014.
Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated June 26, 2013. Accessed December 30, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.