(Intravenous Immunoglobulin [IVIg; IgG])
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Autoimmune disease—the body begins to attack its own cells
- Immunodeficiency—low-functioning immune system
- Inflammatory diseases
- Other diseases that weaken the immune system
- Fluid in the lungs
- Damage to the kidneys
- Blood clots
- Allergic reaction to the IVIg
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Wheezing and/or difficulty breathing
- Slurred or abnormal speech
- Rapid heartbeat or heart palpitations, weak or rapid pulse
- Blue tint to the skin, lips, or fingernails
- Lightheadedness or feeling faint
- Hives, rash, or itching
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal cramping
- Cough or nasal congestion
- Reddened skin
American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association http://www.aarda.org
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases http://www.niaid.nih.gov
Canadian AIDS Society http://www.cdnaids.ca
HealthLink BC http://www.healthlinkbc.ca
Darabi, K, Abdel-Wahab, O, et al. Current usage of intravenous immune globulin and the rationale behind it: The Massachusetts General Hospital data and a review of the literature. Transfusion. 2006; 46:741.
Emerson GG, Herndon CN, et al. Pharmacotherapy. 2002;22(12):1638-1641.
Misbah SA, Chapel HM. Adverse effects of intravenous immunoglobulin. Drug Saf. 1993;9(4):254-262.
Nydegger UE. Safety and side effects of IV immunoglobulin therapy. Clin Exp Rheum. 1996;14(suppl 15):S53-57.
Orange, JS, Hossny, EM, et al. Use of intravenous immunoglobulin in human disease: A review of evidence by members of the Primary Immunodeficiency Committee of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2006; 117:S525.
Sherer Y, Levy Y, et al. Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy of antiphospholipid syndrome. Rheumatology. 2000;39:421-426. Available at http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/39/4/421. Accessed May 29, 2015.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD
- Review Date: 05/2015 -
- Update Date: 05/29/2015 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.