- Coenzyme Q 10 (CoQ 10) —Supplementation Possibly Helpful
- St. John's Wort, Yohimbe, 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe) —Possible Dangerous Interactions
- St. John's Wort —Possible Harmful Interaction
- Amitriptyline hydrochloride (Elavil)
- Amoxapine (Asendin)
- Clomipramine hydrochloride (Anafranil)
- Desipramine hydrochloride (Norpramin)
- Doxepin hydrochloride (Sinequan)
- Imipramine (Tofranil)
- Nortriptyline hydrochloride (Aventyl, Pamelor)
- Protriptyline hydrochloride (Vivactil)
- Trimipramine maleate (Surmontil)
- and others
1 Folkers K. Basic chemical research on coenzyme Q 10 and integrated clinical research on therapy of diseases. In Lenaz G, ed. Coenzyme Q. New York, NY: John Wiley and Sons, 1985.
2 Kishi T, Makino K, Okamoto T, et al. Inhibition of myocardial respiration by psychotherapeutic drugs and prevention by coenzyme Q. In: International Symposium on Coenzyme Q. Biomedical and clinical aspects of coenzyme Q. Vol. 2. New York, NY: Elsevier Publishing Co; 1980: 139-157.
3 Iruela LM, Minguez L, Merino J, Monedero G. Toxic interaction of S-adenosylmethionine and clomipramine. Am J Psych. 150: 522, 1993.
4 Roots J, et al. Interaction of a herbal extract from St. John’s wort with amitryptyline and its metabolites (Abstract). Clin Pharm Ther. 2000;67:159.
5 Johne A, Schmider J, Brockmoller J, et al. Decreased plasma levels of amitriptyline and its metabolites on comedication with an extract from St. John's wort ( Hypericum perforatum ). J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2002;22:46-54.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.