- Vitamin B 12 —Supplementation Possibly Helpful
- Coenzyme Q 10 (CoQ 10 ) —Possible Benefits and Risks
- Ipriflavone —Might Require Reduction in Medication Dosage
- Magnesium —Might Require Reduction in Medication Dosage
- Herbs and Supplements —Might Require Reduction in Medication Dosage
- Potassium Citrate —Possible Harmful Interaction
- Ginkgo Biloba —Possible Harmful Interactions
- Dong Quai, St. John's Wort —Possible Harmful Interaction
- Acarbose (Prandase, Precose)
- Acetohexamide (Dymelor)
- Chlorpropamide (Diabinese)
- Glimepiride (Amaryl)
- Glipizide (Glucotrol, Glucotrol XL)
- Glyburide or glibenclamide (DiaBeta, Glynase, Micronase)
- Metformin (Glucophage)
- Miglitol (Glyset)
- Pioglitazone (Actos)
- Rosiglitazone (Avandia)
- Repaglinide (Prandin)
- Tolazamide (Tolinase)
- Tolbutamide (Orinase)
- Troglitazone (Rezulin)
- and others
- Anemarrhena asphodeloides,
- Azadirachta indica ( neem )
- Bilberry leaf
- Bitter melon
- Catharanthus roseus
- Coccinia indica
- Coenzyme Q 10
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)
- Cucumis sativus
- Cucurbita ficifolia
- Cuminum cyminum (cumin)
- Euphorbia prostrata
- Guaiacum coulteri
- Guazuma ulmifolia
- Holy basil
- Lepechinia caulescens
- Lipoic acid
- Medicago sativa ( alfalfa )
- Musa sapientum L. (banana)
- Nopal cactus
- Phaseolus vulgaris
- Psacalium peltatum
- Rhizophora mangle
- Salt bush
- Spinacea oleracea
- Tournefortia hirsutissima
- Turnera diffusa
- Vitamin E
1 Adams JF, et al. Malabsorption of vitamin B 12 and intrinsic factor secretion during biguanide therapy. Diabetologia 24:16-18, 1983.
2 Kishi T, et al. Bioenergetics in clinical medicine. XI. Studies on CoQ and diabetes mellitus. J Med 1976;7: 307-321.
3 Monostory K, et al. Ipriflavone as an inhibitor of human cytochrome P450 enzymes. Br J Pharmacol . 1998;123: 605-610.
4 Pronsky Z, ed. Powers and Moore's food medication interactions. 10th ed. Pottstown, PA: Food-Medication Interactions; 1997:60.
5 A to Z Drug Facts [book on CD-ROM]. 2nd ed. St. Louis, MO: Facts and Comparisons; 2000.
6 Hodgson JM, Watts GF, Playford DA, et al. Coenzyme Q(10) improves blood pressure and glycaemic control: a controlled trial in subjects with type 2 diabetes. Eur J Clin Nutr . 2002;56:1137-1142.
7 Singh RB, Niaz MA, Rastogi SS, et al. Effect of hydrosoluble coenzyme Q10 on blood pressures and insulin resistance in hypertensive patients with coronary artery disease. J Human Hypertens . 1999;13:203-208.
8 Sugiyama T, Kubota Y, Shinozuka K, et al. Ginkgo biloba extract modifies hypoglycemic action of tolbutamide via hepatic cytochrome P450 mediated mechanism in aged rats. Life Sci. 2004;75:1113-1122.
Kudolo GB, Wang W, Elrod R, et al. Short-term ingestion of Ginkgo biloba extract does not alter whole body insulin sensitivity in non-diabetic, pre-diabetic or type 2 diabetic subjects-A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled crossover study. Clin Nutr . 2005 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print]
10 Kudolo GB, Wang W, Javors M, et al. The effect of the ingestion of Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) on the pharmacokinetics of metformin in non-diabetic and type 2 diabetic subjects-A double blind placebo-controlled, crossover study. Clin Nutr . 2006 May 12. [Epub ahead of print]
11 Ting RZ, Szeto CC, Chan MH, et al. Risk factors of vitamin B12 deficiency in patients receiving metformin. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1975-1979.
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.