Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Optimal Weight Gain
2nd and 3rd Trimester
|Total Weight Gain|
|Underweight||1-4 lbs.||1-1.3 lbs/week||28-40 lbs.|
|Normal Weight||1-4 lbs.||0.8-1 lbs/week||25-35 lbs.|
|Overweight||1-4 lbs.||0.5-0.7 lbs/week||15-25 lbs.|
|Obese||1-4 lbs.||0.4-0.6 lbs./week||11-20 lbs.|
Fear of Fat
|Blood volume increase in mother||3-4 lbs|
|Amniotic fluid||2 lbs|
|Fluids in mother's tissues||3-4 lbs|
|Breast tissue increase||1-3 lbs|
|Increased fat stores in mother||6-8 lbs|
|Total Average||26-32 lbs|
Balancing Weight Gain
- Focus on fresh fruit, vegetables , and whole grains
- Choose lean meats like chicken or turkey
- Change to low-fat dairy products
- Avoid saturated and trans fats . Instead choose monounsaturated or polyunsaturated fats. Limit the overall amount of added fats.
Losing Weight after You Have Your Baby
- Eat a healthful, well-balanced diet that is low in fat, high in fiber, and rich in nutrients
- Breastfeed—your body will burn more calories while breastfeeding
- Exercise—aim for four or more times a week for at least 30 minutes (regular aerobic exercises that involve the large muscles and elevate the heart rate are best for burning calories)
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org/
United States Department of Agriculture http://www.choosemyplate.gov/
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org/
Womens Health Canada http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/
About Pregnancy Weight Gain. American Pregnancy Association website. Available at: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/aboutpregweightgain.html . Updated June 11, 2012. Accessed November 29, 2012.
Impact of Physical Activity During Pregnancy and Postpartum on Chronic Disease Risk. Med Sci Sports Exerc . 2006;38(5):989-1006.
Supertracker. My Foods, My Fitness, My Health. United States Department of Agriculture Supertracker website. Available at: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx . Accessed November 29, 2012.
Weight Gain In Pregnancy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated August 20, 2012. Accessed November 29, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/29/2012 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.