Weight Gain During Pregnancy
Optimal Weight Gain
2nd and 3rd Trimester
|Total Weight Gain|
|Underweight||1-4 lbs.||1-1.3 lbs/week||28-40 lbs.|
|Normal Weight||1-4 lbs.||0.8-1 lbs/week||25-35 lbs.|
|Overweight||1-4 lbs.||0.5-0.7 lbs/week||15-25 lbs.|
|Obese||1-4 lbs.||0.4-0.6 lbs./week||11-20 lbs.|
Fear of Fat
|Blood volume increase in mother||3-4 lbs|
|Amniotic fluid||2 lbs|
|Fluids in mother's tissues||3-4 lbs|
|Breast tissue increase||1-3 lbs|
|Increased fat stores in mother||6-8 lbs|
|Total Average||26-32 lbs|
Balancing Weight Gain
- Focus on fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grains
- Choose lean meats like chicken or turkey
- Change to low-fat dairy products
- Avoid saturated and trans fats. Instead choose mono- or polyunsaturated fats. Limit the overall amount of added fats.
Losing Weight after You Have Your Baby
- Eat a healthful, well-balanced diet that is low in fat, high in fiber, and rich in nutrients
- Breastfeed—your body will burn more calories while breastfeeding
- Exercise—aim for 30 minutes (regular aerobic exercises that involve the large muscles and elevate the heart rate are best for burning calories) per day most days of the week
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org
ChooseMyPlate—US Department of Agriculture http://www.choosemyplate.gov
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org
Womens Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
Impact of physical activity during pregnancy and postpartum on chronic disease risk. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006;38(5):989-1006.
Nutrition in pregnancy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 15, 2014. Accessed November 5, 2014.
Pregnancy weight gain. American Pregnancy Association website. Available at: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/aboutpregweightgain.html. Updated January 2014. Accessed November 5, 2014.
Supertracker: My foods, my fitness, my health. US Department of Agriculture Supertracker website. Available at: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/default.aspx. Accessed November 5, 2014.
Weight gain in pregnancy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 15, 2014. Accessed November 5, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2014 -
- Update Date: 11/05/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.