Surgical Procedures for Stroke
Surgery Options to Prevent Further Damage During a Stroke
Surgery to Prevent Another Stroke
- Narrowing of an artery that will eventually shut off the blood supply to the brain
- Ulceration of a hardened fatty deposit (plaque) that makes it likely to break off and obstruct the artery further down stream
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Treating Heart Conditions
- Heart valve replacement —Replacing leaky or faulty heart valves improves the heart's ability to pump blood.
- Cardiac thrombosis surgery —A blood clot can form on the valves or in the chambers of the heart. If the blood clot is not reduced with medication, surgery may be to remove the clot.
- Repair of defects present from birth —An abnormality in the heart's structure may cause blockage or abnormal patterns of blood flow inside the heart. Repairing defects helps the heart function better and improves blood flow throughout the body.
Bushnell C, McCullough LD, et al. Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in women: a statement for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2014;45(5):1545-1588. Available at: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2014/02/06/01.str.0000442009.06663.48.full.pdf. Accessed June 16, 2014.
Furie KL, Kasner SE, et al. Guidelines for the Prevention of Stroke in Patients With Stroke or Transient Ischemic Attack: A Guideline for Healthcare Professionals From the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke. 2011;42(1):227-276. Available at: http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2010/10/21/STR.0b013e3181f7d043.full.pdf. Accessed June 16, 2014.
A patient’s guide to heart surgery: heart valve surgery. University of Southern California Cardiothoracic Surgery website. Available at: http://www.cts.usc.edu/hpg-heartvalvesurgery.html. Accessed June 16, 2014.
Raychev R, Saver JL. Mechanical thrombectomy devices for acute stroke. Neurol Clin Pract. 2012;2(3):231-235.
Smith WS, Sung G, Saver J, et al. Mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischemic stroke: final results of the Multi MERCI trial. Stroke. 2008 Apr;39(4):1205-1212.
Stroke (acute management). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 22, 2014. Accessed June 16, 2014.
Svillas T, Vlaar P, van der Horst I. Thrombus aspiration during primary percutaneous coronary intervention. NEJM. 2008;358:557-567.
The Penumbra Pivotal Stroke Trial Investigators. The Penumbra pivotal stroke trial. Stroke. 2009;40:2761-8.
11/20/2006 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mas JL, Chatellier G, Beyssen B, Branchereau A, Moulin T, Becquemin JP, et al. Endarterectomy versus stenting in patients with symptomatic severe carotid stenosis. N Engl J Med. 2006;355:1726-1729.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.