Other Treatments for Type 1 Diabetes
- Lancet—a disposable, sharp, needle-like sticking device
- Lancet device—a spring-loaded finger-sticking device
Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
- Less than 7%: good control of your diabetes (Some medical experts believe that excellent control requires levels under 6.5%.)
- 7%-8%: moderate control
- 8%-9%: fair control
- Greater than or equal to 9%: poor control
Regular Checkups With Specialists
- Endocrinologist: a diabetes specialist
Ophthalmologist: an eye specialist for dilated exams
In some states, an optometrist is licensed to administer drops which dilate the eye. After diabetes has been present for about ten years, all diabetics should have a yearly dilated eye examination by an ophthalmologist or optometrist.
- Podiatrist: a foot specialist, especially if you have decreased sensation in the feet
- Diabetes nurse educator to help with understanding insulin
- Diabetes dietitian educator to assist with meal planning
- Social worker, psychologist, or other mental health professional
When to Contact Your Doctor
Diabetes causes. National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/index.aspx . Accessed December 31, 2012.
Diabetes type 1. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Updated December 28, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Type 1 diabetes. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/?loc=DropDownDB-type1 . Accessed December 31, 2012.
- Reviewer: Kim Carmichael, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.