Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes
Symptoms and Results of Random Plasma Glucose Test
Two-hour Glucose Tolerance Test
Hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c)
Fasting Plasma Glucose Test
- Urine microalbumin—to see if there is any damage to your kidneys by measuring protein in your urine
- Thyroid function tests
- Blood lipids (cholesterol) levels (total low-density lipoprotein [LDL] and high-density lipoprotein [HDL] cholesterol, triglycerides)
- Kidney function tests including serum creatinine, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and potassium
- Glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) antibodies
- Plasma insulin levels
- Islet cell antibodies
- Plasma C-peptide
- Insulin antibodies
Arnold JG, McGowan HJ. Delay in diagnosis of diabetes mellitus due to inaccurate use of hemoglobin A1C levels. J Am Board Fam Med. 2007;20(1):93-96.
Diabetes causes. National Institute of Diabetes & Digestive & Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/index.aspx. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Diabetes type 1. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated December 28, 2012. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Type 1 diabetes. American Diabetes Association website. Available at: http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/type-1/?loc=DropDownDB-type1. Accessed December 31, 2012.
Diabetes type 1. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated January 2010. Accessed February 23, 2010.
Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care. 2010;33(Suppl 1):S62-S69.
- Reviewer: Kim A. Carmichael, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2014 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.