Symptoms of Stroke
|Blood Supply and Lack of Blood Supply to the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- F—Face drooping —Drooping on one side of the face, with or without numbness. Ask the person to smile, it should not be uneven.
- A—Arm weakness —Arm weakness with or without numbness. Can the person lift both arms? One arm may drift downward.
- S—Speech difficulty —When the person speaks, is it slurred or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Listen for any abnormalities.
- T—Time to call for emergency medical services —Call right away if someone shows these signs or symptoms, even if they go away. It is very important to note the time symptoms first appeared and when you called for medical help.
- Sudden onset of confusion, difficulty swallowing, or difficulty understanding what others are saying
- Blurry, dimming, or no vision in one or both eyes
- Lightheadedness, falling, or loss of balance
- Severe or unusual headache
Stroke (acute management). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated May 22, 2014. Accessed June 13, 2014.
Warning signs of stroke. National Stroke Association website. Available at: http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/WarningSigns/Stroke-Warning-Signs%5FUCM%5F308528%5FSubHomePage.jsp. Accessed June 13, 2014.
What are the signs and symptoms of a stroke? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/stroke/signs.html. Updated March 26, 2014. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.