Symptoms of Stroke
|Blood Supply and Lack of Blood Supply to the Brain|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Sudden weakness or numbness of the face, arm or leg—usually occurring on one side of the body
- Sudden onset of confusion, difficulty swallowing, difficulty speaking, or difficulty understanding what others are saying
- Blurry, dimming, or no vision in one or both eyes
- Lightheadedness, falling, or loss of balance
- Severe or unusual headache
- A completed stroke reaches its maximum extent immediately or over the course of a few hours.
- A transient ischemic attack (TIA) is a temporary loss of blood supply to the brain that resolves on its own, within 24 hours. It serves as a warning that a more severe stroke is likely.
- A stroke in progress is one that continues to worsen over time, possibly even days.
- Multiple small strokes may occur over time, from days to years, to produce an effect similar to one big stroke.
Know stroke. Stroke National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://stroke.nih.gov. Accessed November 20, 2013.
Stroke (acute management). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated October 24, 2013. Accessed November 20, 2013.
Warning signs of stroke. National Stroke Association website. Available at: http://www.strokeassociation.org/STROKEORG/WarningSigns/Stroke-Warning-Signs%5FUCM%5F308528%5FSubHomePage.jsp. Accessed November 30, 2013.
What is stroke? National Stroke Association website. Available at: http://www.stroke.org/site/PageServer?pagename=SYMP. Accessed November 20, 2013.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Update Date: 11/20/2013 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.