Treatments for Sickle Cell Disease
- Managing and preventing acute crisis episodes
- Managing chronic pain
- Managing anemia
- Preventing and treating infections
- Managing complications and organ damage
- Medical support when needed such as:
- Lifestyle changes
- Gene therapy
- Combination of clotrimazole and magnesium
Cecil Textbook of Medicine. 22nd ed. W.B. Saunders; 2003.
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov .
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America website. Available at: http://www.sicklecelldisease.org .
Weiner CM. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine. 17th ed. New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2008.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/07/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.