What is a Low-Fiber/Low-Residue Diet?
Why Should I Follow a Low-Fiber/Low-Residue Diet?
Low-Fiber/Low-Residue Diet Basics
Eating Guide for a Low-Fiber/Low-Residue Diet
|Food Group||Foods Recommended||Foods to Avoid|
|Meats and Beans||
|Fats and Sweets||
When shopping for food, read food labels.
- Look for products made with “refined” flour.
- Avoid products that say “whole grain” on the packaging.
- Avoid foods with the word “whole” at the beginning of the ingredient list (eg, whole wheat flour).
- Remove skins of fruits and vegetables before cooking.
- Limit intake of fatty foods as these can increase residue.
- Work with a dietitian to create a meal plan for you.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org
American Society for Nutrition http://www.nutrition.org
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca
Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of Canada http://www.ccfc.ca
Nutrition care manual. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. Available at: http://www.nutritioncaremanual.org. Accessed November 17, 2014.
- Reviewer: Dianne Scheinberg Rishikof MS, RD, LDN
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/17/2014 -
This content is reviewed regularly and is updated when new and relevant evidence is made available. This information is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with questions regarding a medical condition.
Copyright © EBSCO Publishing
All rights reserved.